maitre-restaurateur
   


Vézelay

founded around the middle of the IX century by Girart de Roussillon, Count of Burgandy in the Cure valley at Saint-Père, the abbey was moved on the hill in 887 to protect it from attacks by the Normands.Crowds flocked y at the beginning of the XI century, after the pape's authentification of the saints' relics like that of Sainte Marie-Madeleine.

General view of Vézelay, the "eternal hill"


Vézelay, the « eternal hill », was the ideal stop-over for pilgrins: starting point, assembly place for crusaders like those on journey towurds Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle, but also and above all success, of those that would be purpose attracted to the relics of Christ companion.

July 21, 1120 a dreadful fire destoyed the churches old carolingian nave.The magnificent roman nave was actually built around 1150. It is caracterized by a bicoloured stone apparatus of impressionable dimensions of 62m long. It is very beautifully adorned with sculptured pillards illustrating scenes from the Bible. The narthex dates from same era. The luminous Gothic chancel was completed in 1225. The basilica pillaged by the Huguenots in 1569 was partially destoyed by the Revolution. In the 19th century when Mérimée, inspector of historical monuments, attracted the attention of public power, it was on the point of collapsing. Violet-le-Duc, twenty-six years old, undertook the restoration work. The structure that we know today, roman art masterpiece, is classified Global Heritage by UNESCO.

Sainte Madeleine basilica
   
the chancel the narthex relics of Sainte Marie-Madeleine


In the roads of Vézelay
     
porch

house

the clock tower

intersection the "new door" the abbey



Pierre-Perthuis

This village gets it's name from it's rock opening, natural rock arch. The necks of the Cure river pass through the two bridges, one of then a humpback bridge from the XII century called the Vauban bridge and the other a viaduct of 33 meters high constructed near the end of the XIX century. Further upstrean equally remains a very old bridge, the roman bridge. Remnants of a fortified castle from the XII century. The GR13 borrows the riverbanks, between rock and forest, site of a very beautiful walk. www.morvan.com

  
         the two bridges the Cure river



Bazoches

Constructed in the XII century, successively property of the lords of Bazoches, Chatellux, Montmorillon and The Perrière, The Bazoches castle was acquired in 1675 by the Marshal of Vauban offered by king Louis XIV. Since his arrival at Bazoches Vauban made a number of installations and transformed it into a military garrison.It is at Bazoches where he carried out the studies and plans of three workmanships and strong positions. The elaboration on these attack methods and fortification defences made him an uncontestable master of cental strategy and military architecture. www.chateau-bazoches.com




Avallon

Would be an important town occupied by the Celtics, this occuring the millenium proceeding the Christian era. Then it was an important stopping place on the Agrippa Roman route that binds the Mediterranean to northern Europe. Origilally, the surrounding wall of wooden ramparts then of stone, was fortified in the course of time againt the multitude of invasions on a granite spur that dominates 100 meters of the Cousin Valley. Avallon, in it is ancient small market town, counts for a number os historical remnants like the Saint-Lazare collegiate, the clock tower, the winding terrace gardens, it is ramparts or it is famous salt grandy that, at present, shelters each summer works from regional craftsmen. www.avallonnais-tourisme.com




welcome - menus.carte - hotels.B&B - our village - vézelay.région - activities.leisure - bookings - map - after.diner